INFORMATION SERVICE

SHOAH

Gross Rosen

The camp, established in 1940, was one of the earliest. For a long time, it remained only a small camp that served the nearby quarry. Although it began as a satellite of the Sachsenhausen camp, Gross Rosen became independent in 1941.

The first transport arrived at Gross-Rosen on August 2, 1940. This camp was known for its harsh conditions because of work in the quarry.

The camp underwent a major expansion late in the war, in 1944. The camp was the mother camp for numerous satellites that were located in Germany and what was the territory of post-war Poland and the Czech lands. In all, about 125,000 prisoners passed through Gross-Rosen and its satellites. These included those prisoners who were not registered who had been brought to the camp to be executed. The most numerous nationalities represented at the cap were Jews from various countries in Europe, Poles and Soviet citizens, including prisoners-of-war. It is estimated that approximately 40,000 people died at Gross-Rosen.

Among the satellite camps was the notorious camp in Walim (Wüstewaltersdorf), Arbeitslager Riese, which for the most part is still shrouded in secrecy. Some of this camp, which was part of a factory complex, was located in underground corridors and bunkers as part of the largest camp structure of the Third Reich.

From the autumn of 1943 until February 1945, an "educational" labor camp run by the Wroclaw Gestapo (AEL) was located within the Gross-Rosen camp, which had held a total of 4,200 prisoners by the end of the war.
The Museum
The museum was created in 1983 at the initiative of former camp inmates and the families of those who perished there.

The museum is involved in conserving and displaying artifacts, holding permanent and temporary exhibitions, and publishing activities. The museum's employees collect testimonies, identification cards, accounts from the period the camp was operating and run educational programs for schools and organized groups.


Information:

The village of Rogoznica is located west of Wroclaw, seven kilometers from Strzegom, along the Strzegom-Legnica road (route no. 374). The village has a train station as well as a Polish intercity bus service (PKS) bus stop. The museum is open from 8 am to 5pm, or 8 am to 8 pm, depending on the season.

The office is open from Monday to Friday from 8am to 3pm.

Muzeum Gross-Rosen in Rogoznica
Rogoznica, Lower Silesian Voivodship
58-152 Goczalków
Tel: (+48 74) 85-590-07
Web site: www.gross-rosen.pl


The nearest Jewish Community and active synagogue are located in Wroclaw.
(pc/mc)

Concentration Camps and Death Camps: Typological Differences
Former Nazi Camps
 - Auschwitz
 - Belzec
 - Gross Rosen
 - Majdanek
 - Stutthof
 - Treblinka
Jedwabne
REKLAMA: kosmetyka Opole Salon urody Opole mezoterapia Opole kosmetyki do mezoterapii preparaty do mezoterapii | Chcesz przedłużyć rzęsy, zobacz przedłużanie rzęs opole a może gładka wydepilowana skóra na nogach, depilacja laserem diodowym opole. Cierpisz na brak włosów, przerzedzone włosy na głowie. Skorzystaj ze sposobu na włosy: mikropigmentacja skóry głowy Odwiedźmiejsce, w którym znajdziesz rozwiązanie na problemy skóry głowy i włosów. Klinika Włosa - to miejsce, gdzie twoje włosy odżyją. Odpoczynek na kajakach w okolicach Opola, proponujemy spływy kajakowe, zobacz: spływy kajakowe opolskie | spływy kajakowe Mała Panew | kajaki Mała Panew Wybierz się na spływ kajakowy razem z rodziną.

MAIN PAGE

THE LARGEST JEWISH CEMETERY

EVENTS

TRACES OF THE PAST

ORGANIZATIONS

PEOPLE, BIOGRAPHY

JEWISH LIFE

SHOAH

BOOKS

DICTIONARY

 

 

 

Adam Mickiewicz Institute, Mokotowska 25, 00-560 Warsaw tel. (48-22) 44 76 100,
fax. (48-22) 44 76 152;